First Time Homebuyer Grant Program:
Community Housing Innovations, Inc., through the New York State Affordable Housing Corporation, is offering First-Time Homebuyers assistance homeownership to cover down payment and/or closing costs plus rehabilitation expenses.
- The program is open to qualified applicants purchasing properties within Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk counties.
- Applications are processed on a first come, first served basis. We process applications in the order received.
- Properties eligible for assistance through this program are single-family homes, condominiums and co-ops.
- Participants are required to contribute to the transaction an amount equal to at least 3% of the anticipated purchase price. The contribution may include checking, savings, investments, 401K, and/or gifts. Proof of all assets and documentation of the contribution is required.
To Qualify, Applicants Need To
- Meet the definition of a “First-Time Homebuyer”
- Attend one of CHI’s Homebuyer Orientations
For our next free Grant Orientation
- Qualify for a mortgage from a CHI Participating Lender
- Complete a HUD Approved Education Course
- Provide at least 3 percent to contribute toward the purchase
- Fall below the maximum household income level set by New York State
|MAXIMUM GROSS HOUSEHOLD INCOME BASED ON FAMILY SIZE|
Nassau & Suffolk
Additional Requirements Include
- A maximum of 49 percent of the grant proceeds can be spent on acquisition costs. These costs may include down-payment and/or closing cost assistance;
- A minimum of 51 percent of the grant proceeds must be spent on repairs and rehabilitation. The rehabilitation budget is determined by CHI’s designated HUD pre-planner;
- The grant assistance is in the form of a deferred forgivable loan with no payments that declines over time, secured by a second mortgage lien; and,
- The owner must occupy the property for 10 years to avoid having to pay back any or all of the assistance. If the recipient were to move out of the property or sell, or in any way violate the terms of his/her mortgage, then all or a portion of the assistance will have to be repaid
SMART Move NY
Low interest down payment assistance loan for NY first time homebuyers for up to 20% of the purchase price.
- You have not owned a home in the last 3 years. The applicant, co-applicants and non-borrowing spouses must also be first-time homebuyers
- You have NOT had a bankruptcy in the last 4 years.
- You have NOT had a foreclosure in the last 7 years.
- You DO NOT have any knowledge of collections, charge-offs or current past due accounts on my/our credit report.
- You are prepared to purchase a home in the next 12 months and will have:
- Funds available for borrower contribution of at least 1% of the purchase price, pre-closing costs, and emergency reserves
- Steady work history of the past 2 years in the same industry
- On-time bill payment and debt management history
- You are U.S. citizens or permanent resident alien.
- You are Income Eligible for HDF programs. Income eligibility is determined using household income.
Great for prospective first-time homebuyers. This course creates knowledgeable and default-resilient buyers ready for a lifetime of homeownership.
Post Purchase Education
You’ve bought your home, now what? CHI’s Post Purchase education is designed to help you understand what happens after you move into your home.
Work with a Counselor to chart a path to homeownership from start to finish. Together you will develop an action plan to increase savings, reduce debt, and identify programs that work for you.